Welcome aboard to my Fall '10 blog for FSU's DIG3725: Game Design course. Feel free to browse what I find along the
way and please leave comments!

Critques, suggestions, and questions are always appricated!

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Blender Homework 11: Bring It To Life!



If I had to name the one thing I enjoy most in Blender it would be animation. I love to animate things and spend a lot of my free time on animation projects just testing things out and trying to make something cool. <-- Note the word "trying." xD Not everything turns out great at first, well actually almost nothing does but my best suggestion for those who are new to animation in general is to read or watch lots of tutorials but only after you have some idea of what you would like to make(brainstorm if you don't know!). Going into it blindly can waste a lot of time and effort, not to mention frustration. Many great Disney animators suggest visualizing what you want in your head(yeah actually imagining it as silly as that seems sometimes) and then trying to find a way to create what you imagined.

Ah but let's get on with it right? Here's my latest project in Blender dealing with animation, nothing too impressive but any start is a good start right?


In this project I made an area that might be similar to something in the final version of our game. This is a rough demonstration with basic objects but I still think the idea could be used somewhere. I created moving blocks the character would need to use to collect bottles like the rotating silver one shown in this scene. The bottles are needed to get farther, you the player would need to keep any eye out for them!

The only catch for the player: they'll need to control the cubes to reach the bottle! Yeah, yeah very predictible right? Maybe, maybe not, the motion of the cubes throws off the player's judgement of what to do next and meanwhile the internal clock of the game will be ticking since our game is planning on using sidescrolling motion! One missed button and you'll have to try all over again! I used spacebar as the button to control the cubes. You'll have to watch the motion of each cube closely to reach the bottle!


No comments:

Post a Comment